How do I use a generator safely?
When the power goes out, a portable generator is a blessing! Here are some tips for using your generator safely:
- Read and understand the manufacturer’s instruction manual.
- Plug your essential appliances directly into the generator using properly rated extension cords.
- NEVER connect your generator’s outlets directly into a wall outlet.
- Do NOT run your generator indoors, even in basements or garages. Your generator runs off of gasoline, which produces toxic fumes.
- Do not overload your generator as it has limited capacity.
Watch our video to learn additional generator safety tips.